Exploring Food Allergy Families
Tips for Managing Oral Food Challenge Anxiety; Guest: Fawn McNeil-Haber, PhD [Ep. 14]
April 19, 2021
Tamara Hubbard, LCPC (The Food Allergy Counselor website)
It's common to feel nervous or anxious in anticipation of an oral food challenge (OFC). On this episode, fellow allergy-informed therapist Fawn McNeil-Haber, PhD and I will discuss navigating oral food challenge anxiety. We will specifically explore:
- Tips to encourage readiness for kids, teens, parents and adults
- Anxiety management strategies to practice
- Tips to help determine anxiety versus allergic reaction sensations
- Strategies to navigate nerves during the actual OFC appointment
- How far in advance to tell your child about an OFC
- Answering the question "How does the allergist know what's happening in my body?"
- The importance of having a mantra
- A fun idea parents can prepare for the actual appointment
Take advantage of two allergy-informed behavioral health clinicians discussing strategies to navigate oral food challenges! And please feel free to let us know if this episode resonated with you by leaving a rating or review, by sharing this episode, or by connecting with us.
CONNECT VIA SOCIAL MEDIA!